This list doesn’t need much in the way of introduction; the only rule is that the lyrics must be taken from the first line of the first song on an album.
Here’s my attempt at narrowing about twenty-five contenders down to ten real attention-grabbers. Feel free to chime in with some of your favorites. To the nerdery!
NOTE: If the album begins with some kind of skit or ambient intro crap we’ll consider track 2 the first song. If track 1 is an intro and track 2 an instrumental (I’m looking at you, Queensryche) then track 3 is the first song. Etc.
Yes I’ll be a responsible member
Of this great, blessed society
– Clutch “You Can’t Stop the Progress” From Beale St. to Oblivion
Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses
– Black Sabbath “War Pigs” Paranoid
Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I’m bored and old
– Nirvana “Serve the Servants” In Utero
Really don’t mind if you sit this one out
– Jethro Tull “Thick as a Brick” Thick as a Brick
If I ventured in the slipstream
Between the viaducts of your dream
Where immobile steel rims crack
And the ditch in the back roads stop
Could you find me?
– Van Morrison “Astral Weeks” Astral Weeks
The meaning of pain!
– Slayer “Angel of Death” Reign in Blood
For a price I’ll do about anything, except pull the trigger
For that I need a pretty good cause
– Queensryche “Revolution Calling” Operation: Mindcrime
I think that someone is trying to kill me!
– Mastodon “Blood and Thunder” Leviathan
Wouldn’t it be nice if we were older
Then we wouldn’t have to wait so long
– The Beach Boys “Wouldn’t it be Nice” Pet Sounds
We’re amplified adrenaline, another flag’s shadow cover us again.
And on these steps, take back our days
So when we go, go out in a blaze
– Strike Anywhere “Amplify” Exit English